The Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling (ACGC) advances quality in genetic counseling education by developing standards, and by evaluating and accrediting graduate-level programs.
ACGC is the leading accrediting body for educational programs in genetic counseling. ACGC supports the development of quality educational programs in genetic counseling by:
- Providing visionary leadership and excellent communication
- Working collaboratively
- Engaging stakeholders in a standard-setting process that proactively considers the impact of new standards and policies
- Applying the Standards fairly and consistently
- Collecting and disseminating data that support best practices and quality assessment
- Permitting flexibility and innovation in programs and curricula
- Assessing quality based on educational outcomes
Strategic Goals 2018-2021
GOAL 1: Communicate the value and role of accreditation in ensuring quality in genetic counselor graduate education.
GOAL 2: Explore areas of challenge and opportunity for genetic counselor graduate education, as identified by training programs and other key stakeholders, to inform standards, policies, and procedures.
GOAL 3: Explore the role of North American accreditation standards, policies, and procedures within the international landscape of genetic counselor graduate education, certification/registration, and practice.
GOAL 4: Continue to develop operational policies and procedures that ensure long-term stability of the organization.